- Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Matthew 7:21-23
September 24, 2023
Thou art worthy, O Lord,
to receive glory and honour and power:
for thou hast created all things,
and for thy pleasure
they are and were created.
Last week following the morning service, a church vote was taken concerning the call of Bro. Tim Hewitt as the next Pastor of Heritage Baptist Church. The result was 27 out of 30 voting “Yes” to proceed with the call. Bro Hewitt has accepted the call as he and his wife Jessica sense the Lord calling them to Titusville. As for moving forward, Bro. Hewitt plans to be in the area in mid-October to look for a place to live. Lord willing, the Hewitts are planning on making the permanent move from Pennsylvania to Florida in early November. We praise the Lord for His wonderful provision of a well-qualified man who loves people and is called of God to proclaim His word! Please be in prayer for Bro. Hewitt and his family to find the right house, and that the Lord would provide all that is needed for them during this time of transition.
Vanity of Vanities
Life is vanity/futile without God. Everything is futile without God.
Here is a list of Solomon’s vanities…
- Works done under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:4)
- The enjoyment of pleasure (Ecclesiastes 2:1)
- Wisdom (Ecclesiastes 2:15)
- Leaving your goods to someone else (Ecclesiastes 2:21)
- The labour of wicked people who will have to be passed to those who are ‘good’ (Ecclesiastes 2:26)
- A man’s physical life (Ecclesiastes 3:19)
- A man being envied for doing right (Ecclesiastes 4:4)
- A man who lived for himself (Ecclesiastes 4:7)
- The failure of a leader to be appreciated (Ecclesiastes 4:16)
- The love of money (Ecclesiastes 5:10)
- The inability to enjoy wealth (Ecclesiastes 6:2)
- Coveting – by letting your desires wander all over the place to lust after various things (Ecclesiastes 6:9)
- The unsatisfied appetite (Ecclesiastes 6:7)
- The laughter of the fool (Ecclesiastes 7:6)
No wonder that at the conclusion of Solomon’s sermon, he cries out “Vanity of vanities; all is vanity!” He begins and ends his sermon with the same exclamation. (Ecclesiastes 1:2 – Ecclesiastes 12:8). -Bro. John Davis
Without God everything is vanity, futile!
Church News & Notes
- Tonight, following the evening service, we will observe the Lord’s Supper. This is a wonderful time for our church family to remember the atoning death of our Lord Jesus Christ on the cross. All those who are saved and in fellowship with the Lord are welcome to participate.
- The October edition of the Call to Glory devotional, in addition to the latest edition of The Sword of the Lord, are available in the lobby.
Memory Verse –
This morning – Hebrews 1:1-4
September emphasis: THE EXCELLENCY OF JESUS CHRIST
Next week (October 1st) – 2 Corinthians 5:17
October emphasis: AMBASSADORS FOR CHRIST
October 8th – 2 Corinthians 5:17-18
October 15th – 2 Corinthians 5:17-19
October 22nd – 2 Corinthians 5:17-20
October 29th – 2 Corinthians 5:17-21
Matthew G. – September 25th
David L. – September 26th
Chris E. – September 27th
HAPPY BIRTHDAY from your church family!