Seven Miracles in the Gospel of John (Part 2)
Recognize the POWER of the WORDS of the Lord Jesus Christ!
I. BESEECHING (v. 46-49)
Verse 46 – we are introduced to “a certain nobleman”
cf. Luke 19:12, 13 – only other mention of a NOBLEMAN in the Bible, this would be a man of GREAT IMPORTANCE with SERVANTS
- We might say: “a person of high social or political status, aristocratic”
- This NOBLEMAN has a PROBLEM that his social status or his wealth CANNOT fix!
- His sick son is at Capernaum… he is in Cana – about 16 ½ miles apart
Verse 47 – “When he heard that Jesus was come… he went unto him”
If you are SAVED, you HEARD of Jesus… and YOU WENT unto Him (cf. Matthew 11:28-30)!
cf. Mark 5:25-28
cf. Mark 10:46-49
- The nobleman HEARD… WENT UNTO HIM.. and BESOUGHT HIM
- “beseech” – to ask someone URGENTLY or FERVENTLY to do something, to beg
- The man KNOWS Jesus can heal his son, so he ASKS Jesus to heal his son.
- cf. James 4:2
Notice the SERIOUS NATURE of the request – “for he was at the point of death.”
cf. John 11:25 – how the DEAD can LIVE – through BELIEF in the Lord Jesus Christ!
cf. Revelation 1:18 – who are YOU trusting with your SOUL… for ALL ETERNITY???
Verse 48 – This is NOT the response you might expect from the Lord Jesus Christ
This DOES NOT prevent the nobleman from continuing to SEEK the Lord!
cf. Matthew 7:7 – Ask, Seek, Knock
Verse 49 – the nobleman has a PERSONAL matter that he KNOWS the Lord can take care of, he is not there for the ENTERTAINMENT value
Watch the CHANGE in what the Lord says in the next verse – v. 50
II. BELIEVING (v. 50-51)
- Again, recognize the importance of the WORDS of the Lord Jesus Christ:
- “Go thy way; thy son liveth” – if Jesus Christ SAYS something is SO… then THAT is the way it is!
- “And the man BELIEVED the word that Jesus had spoken unto him, and he went his way
- BELIEF results in ACTION!
- It is hard to understand why someone who has BELIEVED on the Lord Jesus Christ would NOT want to be BAPTIZED – it is the FIRST STEP of obedience and is a PUBLIC DECLARATION of one’s BELIEF!
- This nobleman HEADS HOME, believing that the very WORDS of Jesus Christ are POWERFUL enough to save his son from death!
- cf. Matthew 22:29
III. BEGINNING (v. 52-54)
- The nobleman was interested in the TIME that his son BEGAN to amend… it was the SAME HOUR that Jesus spoke the words: “Thy son liveth:”
- cf. Romans 10:13
- This marked a NEW BEGINNING for the nobleman’s son
- This marked a NEW BEGINNING for the nobleman
- This marked a NEW BEGINNING for the nobleman’s house (v. 53)
The Lord Jesus Christ is the ONLY ONE who can grant a NEW BEGINNING that NEVER ENDS!